Power Screwdriver Buying Guide

Power screwdrivers are a great solution for a number of home repair issues. They are very efficient and inexpensive. How can you go about selecting the right power screwdriver for your needs? Should you buy a cheap no-name cordless screwdriver or should you buy a brand name like Skil, Bosch, Ryobi, Milwaukee or Makita? In this special ‘buyers guide’ article, we’ll take a look at some tips for finding the right one for your particular needs.

Guide Continued Below…

In line power screwdrivers are designed for basic household projects. They aren’t too powerful, but more than sufficient to get the job done. For heavy duty projects, consider using a drywall screwdriver. Some models offer various speeds. There are several models to choose from. Some are very similar in design to a basic screwdriver. Other are shaped like a pistol grip, with a handle for you to guide the screws in. Others come with a handle that pivots to help you get into just about any angle you can imagine. This is my favorite kind.

Select a power screwdriver that fits well in your hand. Some of the handles are rough and others have a soft, foam grip to them. Hold the power screwdriver in your hand and see how it feels after a few minutes. If you will be using it for lengths of time then comfort is very important. You don’t want to end up with sore hands or blisters. I’ve found a neoprene grip to be the best choice so if you’re buying online that’s the type of grip I would suggest you purchase.

Different power screwdrivers have varying amounts of torque power and speeds. You will want to compare this information before deciding on the power screwdriver you wish to purchase. Take some time to review what each power screwdriver is recommended for. Compare that to the projects you are likely to undertake with the power screwdriver. I’ve found that 6 volt units are a bit underpowered for larger projects but are just fine for occasional home use. If you think you’ll find yourself using the screwdriver a lot on heavy duty projects then, by all means, go with a more powerful, and yes, more expensive, driver. It will be worth it in the long run.

Speaking of heavy duty usage, some people choose to purchase a second battery so that they can have one charging and one in the screwdriver. I highly recommend this if you will be using the power screwdriver on a regular basis. Nothing is more aggravating than being in the middle of a project and having to wait to recharge your tools. Look for lines of power tools that have interchangeable battery packs to take full advantage of this feature.

For those of you who intend to use your power screwdriver regularly and want to save some money, consider purchasing a power screwdriver kit. Inside you will find the power screwdriver and slots for each accessory. You will often get many sizes of bits to use and a recharger station and adapters. You can get a power screwdriver kit at a much better price than having to purchase accessories separately.

Comment by Judit
2008-12-29 05:55:32

Power Screwdriver is tool that is first on my buying list for the next shopping. It is very useful, because it saves a lot of time and strength while doing jobs at home.

Comment by Sire
2008-12-29 20:49:04

Personally I much prefer to have a cordless drill as you can always add the attachment and they generally have a lot more power. For those people who do not require the power then power screwdriver will definitely do the job.

2008-12-29 21:02:21

Thanks for stopping by Sire,

The problem I run into with a screw bit on a drill is the power. If I’m not careful I end up stripping the screw, which isn’t good. Using a drill is great for putting up drywall but for putting up blinds and shelving it can be overkill. Just ask my wife. ;)

Comment by Work At Home
2008-12-30 23:03:47

I would go for branded one compared to the China no brand make. But, most of the ebay users sold from US and the shipping to Malaysia is costly.

2009-01-03 21:30:46

Thanks for stopping by,

Your comment was sent to the spam bin so I had to pull it out of there.

You’re right, international shipping costs can be quite expensive for items like power tools. Also, some countries prohibit importing them in order to protect local manufacturers.

Comment by Make Money Online
2009-01-01 03:59:58

I used to work as a part timer for Bosch. I strongly recommend their products if you are looking at it and considering. Decker would be second choice for me.

Ben

2009-01-03 21:27:30

Hi Ben,

Akismet doesn’t like you for some reason. You might want to check with them to get that cleared up.

Thanks for your input on the different brands of power screwdrivers you’ve used.

Comment by Nicole Price
2009-01-02 09:05:44

I have given up on power screwdrivers as I hurt myself using one. I now prefer a hand held manual screw driver and I have a collection of many head sizes which fit into the handle. My need is sporadic and I use one rarely so, to invest in an expensive set does not make much sense.

Comment by April
2009-01-02 18:06:07

Actually, I made a handheld screwdriver at school. It was actually pretty good and my dad used it a lot. I don’t think I could make a power screwdriver however.

2009-01-03 23:16:52

[…] out Optempo’s Power Screwdriver Buying Guide, and go ahead and bookmark his site […]

Comment by money-saving-tips
2009-01-14 21:57:57

Pay attention to the amp rating on these. Too few, and it won’t drive screws into hardwoods. This is a product where you truly get what you pay for. The extra $10-$20 is worth it.

Comment by The Blogger Source
2009-01-20 20:51:31

Great tool for the wife or rv. Not super powerful but will do basic every day stuff.

Comment by Web Marketing
2009-02-09 07:06:38

It kinda looks like a hairdryer, Lol!