Waffle House Collectibles - Buying Guide

Today Kid Rock faced some Georgia Justice over a late night brawl at a local Atlanta area Waffle House restaurant. These ubiquitous old fashioned diner style restaurants serve up greasy food 24/7 365 days a year. The food usually isn’t too bad, especially when you need a high fat meal to keep you going in the wee early morning hours like Kid Rock needed. But did you also know there are a lot of collectible items you can get that celebrate this famous, or is that infamous, restaurant chain?

Waffle House has, over the years, had the habit of releasing various advertising collectibles (or ‘flair’ for you Office Space fans) for their employees to wear. They also occasionally made these advertising trinkets available to the general public but this hasn’t been common. Add that to the occasional purloined Waffle House logo’ed plate or coffee cup it makes for a bit of rarity that restaurant and advertising collectors love.

Some common Waffle House collectibles include key chains, T-shirts, coffee mugs and plates, particularly those celebrating the 50th anniversary of the chain and employee pins. There are very popular crossover promo items with both the Waffle House and Coca-Cola logos. Most of these items are reasonably priced and are a great way to start collecting restaurant memorabilia.

You won’t find much fakery in a narrow collecting niche like Waffle House memorabilia but you do need to be aware of the condition of items. Make sure any online seller has adequate pictures and descriptions and make sure that the item hasn’t been stolen from the restaurant.

And, if you’re ever in the Atlanta, GA area, stop by a Waffle House restaurant in the early morning hours. There’s no telling what or who you might find there.

2008-07-31 23:18:44

Oh the memories! Love those waffles! It was a real treat to get to go and it is now a treat to take my kids there. I did not know there was so much memorabilia for Waffle House, though. That is interesting. I wonder if restaurants in general are seeing an increase in the occasional pilfering of their logo plates or cups now that there are online auctions catering to the needs of collectors?

2008-08-01 08:00:42

One of the real treasures of American cuisine, Waffle House is in many ways the cause of my downfall. Their food is so delicious, but it is terribly fattening. I try and limit myself to a once a month treat now — otherwise I can simply feel my arteries congesting as the fork hits my mouth.

Comment by Bunn Coffee Makers
2008-08-01 08:13:27

Waffle House is great, and they have really good coffee too — one of the few places to get a nice cup of coffee in the middle of the night. They also have extremely good coffee cups, which look very attractive on your shelf at home. Not that I would know anything about that, of course.

Comment by Cheap Sprint Phones
2008-08-04 00:46:29

I’m glad I’m not the only miscreant to have succumbed to the temptation of a Waffle House coffee cup. In college, Waffle House was a favorite hangout for late-night study sessions powered by their coffee.

Comment by Cheap Cowboy Boots
2008-08-04 00:38:43

Although we never saw any celebrities making fools of themselves, my buddies and I spent many hours in the waffle house back in high school.

Carbohydrates and caffeine, the fuel of adolescents everywhere!

Comment by pennie
2008-09-22 20:50:33

I am desperately searching for old waffle house uniform tops the polyester type please answer if you have access or know anyone who does these were sold by the company and many old employees should still have some let me know please

2008-09-23 06:49:40

Hi Pennie,

eBay is, of course, your best source for this. You’ll often find old uniforms up for sale this time of year as people begin to put together Halloween costumes.

Other than that place a “Want To Buy” ad in different places, such as Craig’s List, might help you find one.

Comment by alan k
2008-10-20 12:29:32

Waffle house , now that really brings back memories. I used to spend many nights after frat parties stuffing myself on pancakes and waffles. Who would have thought that their would be a market for collecting Waffle house items. Heck im sure I’ve probably got a few waffle house ashtrays that found their way to my dorm room as a kid. :)
Alan

2008-10-21 14:30:28

Hi Alan,

Waffle House doesn’t have pancakes, only waffles. Maybe you’re thinking of a greasy spoon chain like them, Huddle House or maybe IHOP. I know IHOP was way too pricey for me when I was in college though.

Those Waffle House ashtrays should be a good collectible item since most restaurants don’t have them anymore due to smoking bans and, before that, pesky college students lifting them. :)