Where to Buy Embroidery Machines

Home embroidery has come a long way since the time my grandmother did embroidery by hand, so the question today is Where to Buy Embroidery Machines online. In this article we’ll take a look at some of the things you want to consider and some tips on buying a used embroidery machine online.

article continued below…

First, you need to look at what kind of embroidery machine you want to buy. Some machines are quite expensive but are rich with features. Will you find use for all those features or do you just need a basic embroidery machine? What size embroidery do you want to do? The smallest embroidery machines are only 4×4 but you will save some money if this is the size you need. It is a good idea to do some up front research on exactly the model of embroidery machine you want to buy and compare and contrast different machines. This will help you save money by purchasing the embroidery machine that best fits you.

Other considerations when buying a used embroidery machine is to ask the seller a few questions. You should ask the seller of an embroidery machine how much use it has received. For example, ask how many sewing hours or stitches it has done. Find out when it was last serviced and when and where the embroidery machine was purchased. Inquire about shipping charges and make sure that they’re reasonable. Embroidery machines are heavy and expensive to ship but don’t let a seller rip you off with exorbitant shipping charges.

As you investigate Where to Buy Embroidery Machines online you will find that there are a wide variety of choices but you can narrow this down. Your objective is to get the best deal possible that gets you the Embroidery Machine you want at a price that saves you money. One thing to bear in mind is that some embroidery instructors make money selling used machines at high prices to new students. I would suggest that you not tell them the origin of your machine, perhaps that you just bought it from a friend or relative. This can help your relationship with the embroidery teacher.

I hope you have found this overview of Where to Buy Embroidery Machines online has been helpful to you.

Comment by Anna Maria
2008-07-05 11:39:55

Thanks for your review of how to buy a cheap embroidery machine. I have been thinking of buying a fancy embroidery machine but was surprised at the expense.
Your review of how to buy, and save money, when searching where to buy embroidery machines online is a big help.

2008-07-05 11:55:55

Hi Anna,

I’m glad you found the information on embroidery machines helpful. My wife does a lot of sewing, jewelry making and other crafts so she is very helpful in writing these articles.

There is a big range of prices and features available for embroidery machines so that can make where to buy embroidery machines tricky. It is important that you find the machine that fits your needs, budget and skills.

Comment by jim mickelkson
2008-07-05 21:44:43

Now is not the time to buy embroidery machines. They seem like a good deal but can you generate enough business to keep on running?

Consider using contract embroidery until you can establish a cash flow which will allow you to buy a new machine.

2008-07-07 10:39:54

Hi Jim,

I guess it depends on if one is looking for a commercial quality or hobby level embroidery machine. There are often very good deals with used machines where the previous owner bought it on a whim, didn’t use it much and is now selling it at a substantial discount.

Comment by Elizabeth
2008-07-05 12:42:41

I have just started looking into purchasing a machine over the last couple of weeks. There are a wide range of prices and features available and it can be a bit confusing at first.

I found this reveiw to be very helpful in my search…thanks for the useful info!

2008-07-05 13:00:21

Hi Elizabeth,

I’m glad you found the article helpful. Buying a decent quality used embroidery machine can save you a lot of money. My wife bought a used Baby Lock Ellegante recently for about $100. She wanted it to get access to the Nancy Zieman designs. The Brother Innovis 4000LTD is the same machine but it’s licensed to do Disney designs. That’s just an example of why you have to do research into the machine you’re considering so that you pick the right one for you.

I think you had a duplicate comment because I do confirm that new comments are legitimate comments and not spam. I have had a lot of problems with spam comments from undesirable sites recently. Sorry about the confusion.

Comment by Elizabeth
2008-07-05 12:46:51

I have just started looking into purchasing a embroidery machine and must admit that there is a wide range of choices with an even wider range of prices.

Thanks for the helpful insights. This post has helped me to have a clearer understanding of what I am looking for.

Comment by Elizabeth
2008-07-05 15:00:20

Sorry about the duplicate, I’m having some Internet connection problems today. As to your answer to my post, I have been looking into a machine that can do Disney designs. The Baby Lock Ellegante sounds like a machine that I might want to consider.

Comment by Lux
2008-07-06 20:55:39

I still use my mother’s Bernina sewing machine which dates from the 70’s and more recently I bought a Bernina overlocker, or serger as you Americans call them. Bernina is the best as far as I am concerned! I would prefer a topline Bernina embrodiery machine which allows you to link up your laptop to download new designs: even embrodiery designs you have made yourself! Maybe with my next Adsense check LOL
Lissie

2008-07-07 10:44:31

Hi Lissie,

I’ll probably do an article on sergers soon, with my wife’s help. She has some none too flattering things to say about the Singer sergers.

Finding a good deal on a used or refurbished Bernina is a great way to get a quality machine without spending a huge amount of money on a new one.

Comment by luxury Paris Hotels
2008-07-06 21:05:46

I love Bernina’s - I still use my mothers which dates from the 1970’s - works fine: probably because there is nothing computerised about it! I don’t think we will be using the new embrodiery machines in 30 years time: not the embrodiery machines with Windows OS on them anyway LOL
Lissie

2008-07-07 10:20:24

One of my sisters enjoys embroidery and has done a few projects for friends. She’s thinking quite seriously of buying a used embroidery machine, and perhaps turning her hobby into a small business.

Looking around online, it seems that there is a very big gap between the kind of machine you might use at home, and one that you would use in a business. The price jumps from a couple of hundred bucks to several thousand.

I wish I had some real advice to give her. My gut feeling is that there may not be enough business available to warrant buying a used embroidery machine that costs several thousand dollars, but equally, I don’t wanna crush what sounds like quite a promising business idea by being negative.

Any ideas anyone?

Comment by Cect 168 Phones
2008-07-07 10:27:18

I have an aunt who owns a small embroidery business. She runs one of those carts with an embroidery machine that you see in shopping mails, and has been reasonably successful. The only thing I would warn you, or more to the point, your sister, is that it’s a very very seasonal business.

Like most retail, most of her money for the year comes from the two months before Christmas, and she also sees small bursts of money in the period leading up to Mother’s Day and Fathers Day. I don’t know whether my aunt would be as successful if she was trying to do this from home; I have the sense that many of her customers are making impulse purchases, which of course wouldn’t happen if she wasn’t out there in front of their faces in the mall.

2008-07-07 10:54:43

Hi Oakley,

The commercial level machines have the advantage of durability over long term use. One problem I’ve seen with lower end embroidery machines and sewing machines in general is that they don’t hold up well for anything much beyond light hobby use. The phrase they don’t make them like the used to certainly applies to sewing machines.

Another thing about the commercial and higher end machines is that they’re much easier to work with so that one can do the work faster and more efficiently. Some of the cheaper ones can be a pain to thread, for example.

Cect is right about it being seasonal. You’ll tend to get a lot of orders for Christmas and for the summer wedding season but it can be really slack at other times of the year.

2008-07-08 13:41:11

Thanks for the feedback guys … I’ll pass your thoughts on to her. Hadn’t thought about the wedding season, that’s interesting.

Comment by Judy Online
2008-07-07 10:30:21

Embroidery is one of my hobbies, but it had never occurred to me to buy a used or new embroidery machine in order to do it. Part of the appeal for me is having something to do with my hands, while I sit quietly listening to the radio or chatting with friends. As I get older, though, I am beginning to feel some twinges of arthritis in my fingers, and perhaps there’s an embroidery machine in my future somewhere!

2008-07-07 10:47:51

Hi Judy,

I remember my grandmother doing embroidery by hand until her arthritis and other problems kept her from enjoying her sewing hobby.

Embroidery machines are great, particularly those you can hook up to your computer via a USB cable. Of course, as you said, that takes a lot of the craftsmanship and fun out of it.

Comment by Judy Online
2008-07-08 13:44:51

I think I may just have to retire gracefully from embroidery if/when my eyesight and coordination start causing me problems.

One thing I would like to do, before that transpires, is to pass the skill on to my granddaughter.

2008-07-10 19:53:49

Machine embrodiery is great fun and its one of those areas where you need decent tools. Do the research before you decide which embrodiery machine to buy but buying embrodiery machines online is a great option as many people give up on them before they get used very much