Inline Ads Blogger Template

UPDATE: 4/24/2010

At this time I strongly recommend that you avoid use Blogger blogs for any internet marketing purposes. It seems that Google has changed the rules and even totally legitimate blogs with good content are being flagged as spam and are being taken down and deleted.

Inline Ads Blogger Template Layout Example

I’ve been doing some work with Blogger blogs recent and I’ve developed two templates, based on the popular Minima template, that will allow you to show Adsense or affiliate ads in-line on the left side as seen in this example layout.

As you might expect, this template is ugly. It is designed intentionally that way to emphasize the advertising block while de-emphasizing the content. Your content must still be of reasonable quality in order to pass a visual inspection, of course, but it doesn’t have to be deep and meaningful. Think World Weekly News rather than National Geographic.

For this template I have both a White and Black version. I went with a Courier font because it’s hard to read while giving a dull newspaper feel to the page on the white template and an ugly techno-retro feel with the black. I removed other widgets except for the archive widget which I moved to the footer. If you use Adsense you will also want to add a privacy policy statement down here as well. I gave it this one column look to reduce the chance for visitor distraction from the single ad prominently displayed on the page.

Setting It Up

There is a little trick you have to use in order to set this template up due to some limitations within the Blogger template design interface. Basically, you have to create a sidebar widget and move it into the main blog post area.

Our first step is to create your advertising widget on the sidebar. You would do this in the regular way on the Page Elements tab. If you have any questions on this part, let me know in a comment.

Next, we have to move your sidebar widget to the main content area. To do this, go to the Edit HTML tab. You’ll see the code for the template (don’t let it scare you, it’s just code!). Look for the section I added that says “Your Ad Here”. It’s near the bottom. Here’s what it looks like:

<div id='main-wrapper'>
<div class='inlineadblock'>
  <p>Your Ad Here</p>
</div>
<b:section class=’main’ id=’main’ showaddelement=’no’>
<b:widget id=’Blog1′ locked=’true’ title=’Blog Posts’ type=’Blog’/>
</b:section>
</div>
<div id=’sidebar-wrapper’>
    <b:section class=’sidebar’ id=’sidebar’ preferred=’yes’>
<b:widget id=’HTML1′ locked=’false’ title=” type=’HTML’/>
 </b:section>
</div>

Now we will want to copy the HTML1 sidebar section up to the inline ad block area where the “Your Ad Here” paragraph is located, like so:

<div id='main-wrapper'>
<div class='inlineadblock'>
   <b:section class=’sidebar’ id=’sidebar’ preferred=’yes’>
<b:widget id=’HTML1′ locked=’false’ title=” type=’HTML’/>
</b:section>
</div>
<b:section class=’main’ id=’main’ showaddelement=’no’>
<b:widget id=’Blog1′ locked=’true’ title=’Blog Posts’ type=’Blog’/>
</b:section>
</div>
<div id=’sidebar-wrapper’>
</div>

Now the template should be ready to run once you click save. Make sure that you don’t get any errors here. You shouldn’t if you copied everything correctly. Now view your blog and make sure it’s what you want.

Note that you can’t make any changes to the page element after you move it to the ‘inlineadblock’ area. That’s a limitation of the Blogger page element editor. To edit a page element, reverse the procedure above, save the HTML template, then go to the Page Elements tab and make your changes, then repeat the steps above to move the edited element back into the inline block position.

If you want to make so changes to the width and height of the block, look for the inlineadblock style section. Just change the appropriate parameters as you wish. The example below is from the white background template:

.inlineadblock
    margin-bottom: 5px;
    padding-bottom: 0px;
    margin-right: 5px;
    padding-top: 0px;
}

Download White and Black Inline Ads Blogger Templates

If you have any questions about these Blogger templates please feel free to ask.

Comment by Houseboat Rentals
2008-05-31 17:03:34

I uploaded your templates. I was just looking for some different templates for blogger and what do you know here they are!

I did not add the info to the page element before I moved it and now I cannot add my ads. Go Figure!

Hopefully if I move them back I can edit them.

2008-05-31 17:30:45

Hi Denise,

That’s right, you can’t make changes to the page element after you move it. I’ll go back and edit the article to make that clear. Just move the whole page element block back to the sidebar and then you can edit it again. Then, after you edit, move it back to the inline ad block area again.

Comment by Houseboat Rentals
2008-05-31 18:14:56

Will do! Thanks!

Comment by Grizzly
2008-05-31 22:38:00

Frank,

Where the hell were you two years ago! You bugger - we are going to have to talk. Never new you were such a code monkey - I do SEO but always wished I had the patience for your talents. Excellent stuff my friend!

2008-05-31 23:33:13

Thanks Griz

Comment by Grizzly
2008-05-31 22:39:09

new = knew… lol

Comment by Houseboat Rentals
2008-06-01 17:43:24

I really have had good luck changing over my blogger templates. Thanks again Frank!

2008-06-01 18:15:37

You’re welcome Denise. I hope they work well for you. They’ve done well for me so far.

Comment by Jason Slone
2008-06-02 09:35:22

Very awesome Frank, thanks again

2008-06-02 10:33:42

You’re welcome Jason and thanks.

2008-06-03 18:44:28

Frank,
You have become quite the resource for custom blogger templates and seo software. I must say I’m quite impressed. I have been using your ebay blogger templates and love em. I messed around with the templates when I first started and got so frustrated with them I gave up. Glad someone can stick it out.
Gotafish

2008-06-03 19:21:05

Thanks Gotafish,

Working the CSS, particularly a modified/extended form of it like on Blogger, can be a little tricky. At least they let you do some interesting modifications unlike WordPress.com.

Comment by seo man
2008-06-04 15:33:11

Move out from Blogger and host your own blog I tell thee!!! :D

2008-06-04 23:20:55

Hi Seo Man,

I covered this in an earlier article, Niche Blog Hosting: WordPress vs. Blogger. I use about 40% Blogger blogs, 30% WordPress and 20% static HTML for my ‘money sites’. I’ll probably eventually have more WP sites though.

Comment by Justin Briggs
2008-06-09 15:03:43

Very nice

I bet the ctr on this is wonderful

2008-06-09 16:33:44

Hi Justin,

I’ve been seeing about 10-20% CTR on the ones I have deployed with this template or ones similar to it that have been monetized. I have some that I’ve been aging unmonetized in what should be better niches that are using Minima right now. I’ll have to switch it once I monetize them.

2008-07-02 06:20:36

Been looking for some tips on how to incorporate an ad block in my post. This is a very welcome help. thanks.

Comment by YC
2008-07-03 22:17:56

Hey Frank, just tried it. Looks like crap, but good crap. :) Thanks a million!

Comment by Celcom Blue
2008-10-27 12:34:49

Hi Frank, I have a question here, I wanna have this template for my new upcoming blog. Since I am not going to monetize it at this time since it is still new, should I wait first before utilizing your this crappy template, or can I just upload it and leave the adblock empty first until I think it is the right time to apply it? Hope you get what I mean…Thanks for the template…I have to agree with YC; crap but a damn great crap. Another thing is I find that the minima template is still a good-looking template which is what I don’t really want for my adsense-optimized blog. It looks fine for my current blog mymodenetwork since I aim for both readers and clickers. Thanks to you Frank, and to Grizzly too…;-)

2008-10-27 14:14:39

Hi Celcom,

I use the template right away with a placeholder picture rather than advertising. For example, if I was doing a blog like this on guitars I might place a picture of a guitar there at first.

Comment by Celcom
2008-10-28 11:04:44

Thanks Frank, never thought of that before…brilliant! Thank God we have people like you and griz…;-)

2009-10-05 14:25:15

Solid work on the templates as always, Frank. BTW, I added a link to your Templates for Website on my home page in addition to all the other MMO wares I’ve been hawking as a small thank you.