A Helping Hand to a New “Make Money Online” Blogger

A Helping Hand to a New “Make Money Online” Blogger

It seems that a guy by the name of Marc Galeazzi just paid $10,000 for Bryan Clark’s One Man’s Goal. Marc seems to be an enthusiastic young man but he’s really headed in the wrong direction. I thought I’d throw in my two cents to help Marc out a bit and have an excuse to link some of my older posts and some other sites.

On the Right Track, or Not?

On the Right Track

Well, first off, did Marc throw away $10,000? On the surface, yes, he probably did since “Make Money Online” flagship blogs are notoriously poor performers money-wise. There are tons of other ways to make money online that would cost less and make more ranging from making money niche blogging to email marketing to PPC marketing and so forth.

It also would have been cheaper to promote your own, newly created, “Make Money Online” flagship blog. I describe this pattern in my 6 part series called The Secret Guide to Social Blogging Success. Here are the parts:

Now, here’s the advantage of buying One Man’s Goal for $10K when you look at in through the lens of my social fame blogging system. Buying an existing blog puts him ahead of the game. He may need to go back a little a build a strong ‘entourage’ (aka link farm aka link cluster) and do a little more faking it but he should be ready to take off on the ramp with a publicity blitz.

The key is that he can’t do what so many others have done and drop the ball. He is well poised on the publicity ramp that will make him into a big time A-List “Make Money Online” blogger. He’s getting buzz, some of it negative but, hey, it’s free publicity. He needs to work this, stay positive in the face of attacks and build his brand by promoting relentlessly. Sure, it will probably cost him another $10K to do this but he will be an A-List “Make Money Online” blogger in the end and it will be all worth it, right?

Now, if Marc gets discouraged at the social fame blog path, I have a remedy there too in this post I did for someone else who had gotten frustrated: Someone Please Tell Me the Secret.

The Problem

Money To Burn

The problem I see is that Marc is totally caught up in the school of thought on “Make Money Online” blogging that will cause him to spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on questionable information products and courses. He has already been a victim of this scamming method it seems. Even worse, he’ll probably start partaking in this pattern of building a loyal audience and milking them himself. This is the core of the criticism that Vic and others level at this pattern, it takes advantage of people, particularly people who’re naive about making money online. I think it is important that Marc understands that this is the course he is setting out upon and I’d highly recommend that he change course and take One Man’s Goal in a better direction.

What do you think about the sale of One Man’s Goal and the “Make Money Online” blogging pattern that takes advantage of the naive?

UPDATE: 5/5/08

It doesn’t look like things are going so well over there at One Man’s Goal. $27 in revenue and a 2 point PR slap for selling links. Looks like Marc should read more about how to build Social Proof of Making Money Online.

UPDATE: 3/15/10

I was doing a little checking tonight and I found that One Man’s Goal is gone now. The domain is in the hands of a Chinese based domainer. I can’t read Chinese so I can’t figure out how much they’re trying to sell it for. It still has some good links since many of them still survive. I just deleted mine though.

Comment by Robert
2008-04-12 10:51:43

It was mentioned somewhere he isn’t even a blogger and doesn’t know how to use Wordpress, so this dude is going to have a hell of an uphill battle. If that’s correct, he’s definitely picking the wrong niche to stumble into with his money on fire like that.

2008-04-12 11:17:14

Hi Robert,

That is true. Hopefully he’ll get exposed to some better information from Vic, Griz and Court that will steer him in a better direction.

Comment by Vic
2008-04-12 12:04:05

Amen!!!!

Comment by Living in Hawaii
2008-04-12 18:30:49

Hey Frank,

I really like this post. Rather that simply railing against how this sale is destined to be a waste of money, you offer up some constructive advice on for how Marc may be able to make things work.

Time will tell, what happens with this. But I wish him well.

Todd

2008-04-13 07:48:23

Hi Todd,

Stuff like this reminds me a lot of the dot com bust where you had companies investing huge amounts in web projects but where they didn’t know squat about conducting business on the Internet. Maybe he’ll be able to avoid this fate but I have to say it doesn’t look like he’ll recoup his money. But, if getting famous in the “Make Money Online” niche is his goal, he might just do that.

2008-04-12 23:46:01

10K is quite a bit of money to drop, but this could be part of his evil plan to take over the MMO niche. How much publicity has he gained with this “stupid move” ? So long as he plays his cards right, this could be a good thing. That said, if he can’t provide useful content for visitors, then he’ll just prove that the $10K investment was a waste of time and money.

I wonder if he’ll consider dropping 50K for JohnCow.com next … :P

Comment by Robert
2008-04-13 01:19:11

I’m not so sure how this round of publicity will help longer term when our crack-addled attention spans are so short. Publicity doesn’t do thing one for SEO. Readers are idle chatter, not the clinking of coin into your can.

He’d have been better off putting that $10K into outsourcing some SEOs, content creators, and buying some software to help him move on. He’d be ahead, and still have several thousand left over. Right now he’s in a very deep investment hole that will be difficult to crawl out of, as he will still need to recoup hosting costs, his time, etc.

2008-04-13 07:52:40

Hi Jason,

If he has humor and wild behavior like the Cow and Kumiko did with Cash Quests then he might have a chance. If he’s another carbon copy of 99.98% of the MMO bloggers out there, he would have been better off dropping that $10K on a nice ski vacation in Europe.

Comment by Jason
2008-04-13 08:02:04

I cannot understand why people buy blogs, especially for such exorbitant amounts - with five figures to spend, you could get a blog to similar levels of traffic and RSS count as OMG had in a week (throw a contest or something with $1,000 cash prize). OMG had worse statistics than mine (in terms of traffic and reader interaction) but went for a substantial amount, and this isn’t the first time. Those revenue stats are hard to believe (that they are all from OMG).

The bigger amounts blogs are sold, the more I’m tempted to part with TUK… although I would show nothing but the truth in terms of stats and all during the sale, I don’t think I could handle selling it to clueless people like Marc. I wonder how he’ll feel when OMG makes $0.00 next month?

2008-04-13 08:31:51

Hi Jason,

The problem with most blogs, particularly in the Make Money Online area, when it comes to selling them is that they’re tightly coupled with the writer of the blog. As a recent financial magazine article pointed out the blogs that have the best business market valuation are those with multiple authorship in the tech, politics/news and entertainment categories. But, with your average blog, you change authorship you lose over half of the regular readers.

Comment by Dinheiro
2008-04-14 06:32:53

Well explained frank. I must agree with you and other, i don’t know why people continue to buy blogs like this OMG. With $10k, the guy could easily buy a directory or something similiar, with good traffic and good search engine indexing. Then he could add some content channels, and he would have a quick success for that $10k. If i had $10k…!!!

2008-04-21 22:14:27

[…] Frank over at OpTempo tries to give Marc some advice. […]

Comment by Siva | Car345.com
2008-04-25 23:12:51

I don’t think the threw money away. To get to that blog readership,New blogger needs lot of content, motivation and link building.

Even if he continues to make $500.00 a month and pay all of that to guest bloggers, he will end-up with 1000 posts within six months. I wouldn’t be surprised if he starts making 10k a month from that blog. I guess it might take a year more or less but still he got something to work on.

2008-04-26 00:07:38

Hi Siva,

With a budget of $10K to spend on an online business there are several much better ways to accomplish a $10K a month cash flow than buying a “make money online” blog. This range from building niche marketing sites, to doing pay-per-click to even doing certain types of ecommerce.

For example, $10K would buy you a lot of BANS sites and niche Adsense blogs, we’ll say around 400 sites as a nice figure. If each only earned an average of $1 a day this would easily earn you an income of about $10,000 a month plus you would still have a substantial chunk of cash available from your original $10K. Plus a huge portion of that monthly cash flow would be profit.

Of course, this wouldn’t make you famous online. As I mentioned in the article, if the “being famous online” course is the one that Marc is setting out upon, he does have a leg up with this purchase. However, I seriously doubt that he will make that much doing so. In fact, I think he’ll be lucky to make more than what he would make flipping burgers at a local McDonalds, roughly $8-10/hr.

As for 1000 articles, if they’re on Making Money Blogging they won’t help much. I did 200 articles here on OpTempo the first month although I’ve slowed down a lot from that original pace now. Guess which articles get the most search engine traffic and the most advertising conversions? Hint, it’s not the ones about blogging. Guess which articles of mine this month have gotten the most search traffic this month. Once again, it’s not the ones about blogging.

Comment by Web Design Blog
2008-04-29 07:16:28

Hi there,

Marc from OMG.com kindly let me interview him for my blog after the controversy of the sale, and thought you might be interested in reading it.

It’s at: http://www.emzdesign.co.uk/2008/04/19/marc-galeazzi-one-mans-goal/

Thanks :)

2008-04-29 08:14:22

Hi Emma,

It’s sad that he still is terribly naive about the whole thing. He has had an opportunity to educate himself and perhaps correct his error but he seems to be refusing it. You should have asked him if he would have bought a house without doing a title search and a termite inspection. What he’s done with that blog amounts to the same thing.

Really, the last thing the MMO niche needs is yet another noob doing the “documenting my journey” thing. How many sites are there that do this, 100, 200, 1000 or more. He should have video blogged about bartending if he want to work in a truly “underserved market”. There is a huge, mostly untapped, market in online instructional and how-to videos in many niches, however, “Make Money Online” isn’t one of them.

2008-05-20 08:34:41

Well a little time has passed since all this went down and I see you have an update from a couple of weeks back.
27 Dollars.
Wow.I’ve seen his video and he works as a bartender and real estate person, so it’s probably not a pain financially but in his heart he’s got to feel that $27 as a stinging blow.

2008-05-20 09:00:12

Hi Dave,

It is pretty sad that he blew $10K like this. There were so many better options out there to make money online. A single blog in the “make money online” niche is probably one of the worst options to choose if you want to actually make money online.

Well, we all make mistakes and it’s best to make them while you’re young and single like Marc appears to be.

2008-06-23 12:17:58

[…] Frank over at OpTempo tries to give Marc some advice. […]

2008-07-02 03:39:09

With the amount of free information out there online, it is quite a surprise that Marc took such a decision. He should have used part of the money to get sound professional advice before throwing that huge some into a venture he obviously know little or nothing about. Yes it is possible to make money blogging, even in the overcrowded MMO niche, but POSSIBLE is not the same thing as EASY.

2008-08-08 23:11:38

I keep waiting for Marc to show up here at OpTempo or over at Bloggerunleashed or court’s site or griz’s site and say he is ready to learn how to really make money online. Or could he be reading the four blogs and quietly building BANS sites and Adsense sites and recouping his 10k? Hey Marc, give a shout out, will ya?

Comment by Dinheiro
2008-09-23 15:23:35

Comment by Jeff Paul
2008-11-08 01:55:29

This blog Is very informative , I am really pleased to post my comment on this blog . It helped me with ocean of knowledge so I really belive you will do much better in the future . Good job web master .