Why I Removed EntreCard

Why I Removed EntreCard

EntreCard introduced a new exponential pricing scheme this week. What does this change mean for this popular widget? Will people remove it from their blog now that “power dropping” traffic will dry up? Is the new pricing scheme an effective way to deal with the EntreCard credit market? Well, here’s what I think and why I’ve removed EntreCard from OpTempo.

Popular No More

EntreCard had essentially become a social exchange system more than an advertising system. “Power Droppers“, people who dropped 200-300 cards a day, had high advertising prices due to the amount of activity they generated. That’s why someone with a feed count in the low double digits and little Alexa traffic could have a blog that costs 100’s of credits to advertise on while someone with a much better stats would be cheap in comparison. It was all based on one’s popularity within the system and not on things that web site advertising is normally based upon.

The exponential pricing scheme is an attempt to address this inequity that was noted by John Cow in this post, The Last Drop For Entrecard. While this addresses this concern, it probably goes too far and may well alienate many active power users of the system.

Ridiculous Inflated Prices

The change also prices the EntreCard advertising far too high at the current market value of EntreCard credits. In fact, it is actually cheaper to order a review from John Chow, his most expensive form of private advertising, than to buy an EntreCard ad that will be ignored by a large portion of his audience.

Of course, the market price of EntreCard credits should deflate rapidly to come more in line with reality but it is quite likely that the price will remain out of line with other private advertising methods that will be more profitable for both the blog owner and the advertiser.

Why I’m Dropping EntreCard

Mainly, I always viewed it as a social exchange system between bloggers. The traffic wasn’t that valuable since about 90% bounced away within seconds but occasionally someone would stick around and comment and perhaps even click a Big Honkin’ Ad. It did give a slight boost to my Alexa numbers. Since I don’t think that it will continue to provide that limited value, I decided that it was best to remove the EntreCard Widget for now and see how things shape up over the next few weeks.

My prediction is that EntreCard will soon begin slowly disappearing from the blogosphere, much like BlogRush has, as it begins to deliver less and less traffic, particularly to smaller and mid-sized blogs that were the backbone of the social system. I’d also guess that Graham and the crew there will shop it around to various buyers and make a nice amount of cash from it. I wish them well in that endeavor.

EntreCard Reactions

Here are some reactions by some EntreCard users:

Surf the Mind: Thinking Through the Entrecard Changes

MoneyBites: EntreBashing: The New Pricing System

Michaels’ So-Called Life: EntreCard: The New Supply & Demand System

EntreCard Blog: Myths about the new pricing

The University Kid: WTF Is With Entrecard?

Quick Online Tips: Entrecard Changes Pricing Algorithm: Card Dropping Game Stops

Tha Slayer: The new Entrecard Credit system (has a much better idea for a pricing scheme)

If you have a post on this EntreCard situation, positive or negative, leave me a comment with a link to it and I’ll add it to the list.

UPDATE on 10/24/08: EntreCard Sucks

Yes, EntreCard Sucks as bad as Blogrush Sucks

Here’s a little luv note I got from them tonight:

Your account ‘OpTempo’ on entrecard.com has been deleted. The administrator gave the following reason:

Rule 7: hxxp://entrecard.com/docs/doku.php?id=blog_quality_standards

Please contact deleted@entrecard.com if you have any questions regarding this action.

Well, it seems that good ole OpTempo didn’t meet their ‘quality’ standards. Actually, as you can see from this post, they didn’t meet my quality standards some time ago.

2008-04-10 21:26:43

I thought you were removing the widget ages ago. In any case, what’s with you and others like you? Give this ship some damn time instead of takin’ a sledgehammer to it every time it tries something new.

2008-04-10 21:40:59

Hi Sam,

There were 2 main reasons I removed it.

First, as I mentioned, with the change I no longer see it as a viable social networking widget. Now it is simply a greatly overpriced advertising widget.

Secondly, people started canceling ads that were already placed prior to the change in the hope of gaming the new system. That annoyed me greatly.

I may add it back again if the situation stabilizes in the future although I doubt that it will.

Comment by Sam Freedom
2008-04-14 00:50:35

I see.. so some of the lame gamers annoyed you and you aren’t yet aware how the new change can still foster social networking so you trash it and remove it?

Sounds a little kneejerk to me. And it’s your right to do it. I’m just chiming in because that is what we do on blogs whether we agree or disagree. And by the way, if the new change has somehow destroyed its social networking effects, then I technically shouldn’t be here posting.

2008-04-15 08:18:42

Hi Sam,

I really see it as a “jump the shark” moment for EntreCard. However, I’ll keep an eye on it to see how things go. If they were ever to allow users to set their own price for a site, I’d be back in for sure.

Comment by Emma
2008-04-10 22:31:15

Frank I recently removed Entrecard here is my last entrecard url;

Comment by The BlogUpp! Team
2008-04-11 08:56:11

@jfc: sorry you are disappointed. You might find some interesting facts here

EDIT: A pitch for the Blogupp service on the edge of comment spamming. Links removed.

Comment by English Advantage
2008-04-12 06:51:43

Thanks for posting on this. Thought there was a computer error when I logged in today and my blog cost 64 credits–up from around 9! Never been a big entrecard user and this will probably kill it for me too.

2008-04-13 08:34:09

I was surprised by this change too since I didn’t keep up with their forums.

2008-04-12 12:53:58

[…] the way you collect credits from advertisers. As a result of this change, quite a few blogs have stopped using […]

Comment by Living in Hawaii
2008-04-12 18:39:36

Hi Frank,

I never understood things like EntreCard and BlogRush. It seems to me, most things that try to “shortcut” traffic/link building eventually come unraveled.

So far, the only “widgets” I’ve tried that actually do bring traffic are MyBlogLog and BlogCatalog. It’s a shame more people (including me) don’t just focus on building their communities within those systems rather than always experimenting with the “next new thing”.

Todd

2008-04-13 08:37:19

Hi Todd,

The only problem I have with the MyBlogLog and BlogCatalog community thing is that they’re way overused by marketers and marketer-wannabes. I’ve rarely gotten an invite that wasn’t a marketing pitch in disguise.

EntreCard did have potential as a blog social networking tool since, originally, it evened out the playing field to some degree. Now, it’s just an overpriced way to advertising on other blogs. Sad.

Comment by seo man
2008-05-03 12:19:05

I must say I hated the new pricing system myself. I still keep my widget on but I no longer drop. Why waste my time on worthless credits?

2008-05-03 15:46:27

Hi SEO Man,

I decided that it was just too much of an annoyance and time waster to keep around.

Comment by Chetan
2008-05-07 16:00:55

Those changes didn’t affect me a lot, so am continuing to use EC and am getting the same amount of traffic that i used to get before. Btw have to agree, that many bloggers experienced the other side with the changes.

Comment by Harley Nash
2008-07-06 01:15:19

This post was very helpful to me. I was wondering if I should use Entrecard on my new blog and I guess that I would be better off without it.

What do you think of Blog Catalog, Bumpzee and others like them?

2008-07-11 04:26:00

Now that one I managed to stay clear off: blogrush widget was a waste of space and after that I got a lot more cynical about the next great thing -which happened to be Entrecard!

Comment by Travel Over 30s
2009-02-05 21:01:52

I had forgotten this post! Im using EC on a blog that I get paid for the traffic for - so wtf it they bounce right on! I did notice what I think is a related decline in search traffic - but now I toned down the drops that has stablised.
I have also found some interesting blogs in my niche - (this is actually one im interested in) and got some good comment links!