SNL Hillary and Obama - The 3 A.M. Phone Call

Saturday Night Live did another Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama spoof for their cold open, this one entitled The 3 A.M. Phone Call. Here’s the video courtesy of Hulu:

Also see this related video: SNL’s Democratic Debate: Obama vs. Clinton

This humorous video does raise the important point of crisis management experience. Who is best qualified to make that tough decision in the middle of the night? Some presidents have stayed up all night, some making bad decisions and some good. Others have snoozed through a crisis while their staff did the heavy lifting, for good and ill. Which would Hillary or Obama, or, for that matter, McCain do? My take is that nobody is really prepared for this kind of call, they either rise to the occasion or not.

As for the video clip itself, I got several good laughs out of it, particularly the lines about fixing the White House heater and “Is Bill there?” - “It’s 3 AM, what do you think?” and “Wait. We’ve changed our minds”.

Saturday Night Live has taken some hits from some quarters that suggest that they’ve been too pro-Hillary in their skits. What do you think? Should they be balanced in their humor or play favorites?

A couple of notes about the Hulu videos: They’re only available to US viewers and may have ads upfront.

Comment by Jason A Clark
2008-03-10 16:14:33

That was a pretty funny skit, but not as funny as the interview.

I don’t know if you can really say they’ve been too pro-Hillary although their choice does seem clear. I think it might be better to spread the love a little and make fun of everyone equally…but that’s just me.

2008-03-10 16:21:00

Hi Jason,

They seem to have gone a bit further in this election cycle than they have in the past. I thought they did a better job back in 2000 with the Bush-Gore debate (”Lockbox!”) and the Ross Perot and Bill Clinton ones from 1992. I’ll have to post these classics at some point since they should be on Hulu now.

Comment by Buy Snap On Tools
2008-03-21 12:06:05

I don’t know if I would call it being pro-hillary, more along the lines of go with what works. They got alot of press and exposure after the Pillow debate, now, even though it’s still funny, they’re trying to beat the horse to death. Just my opinion…

2008-03-21 13:15:55

They only seem to hit one of these every other election cycle. In 1992 they did a great Perot send up but whatever they did in ‘96 wasn’t that memorable. In 2000, they had ‘Lockbox’ Gore and a befuddled Bush but 2004 was also not memorable.

Your auction blog is interesting. While Keyword Sniper is a good theme you might also take a look at Stripped which is a nice, single column, minimalist theme with good SEO too.

Comment by Terry Didcott
2008-03-12 06:31:02

What a shame the vid is only available in the US. How short sighted - its like they forget there’s three w’s and one of ‘em stands for “world”!

I would have liked to have seen it, something interesting to break up the day.

Never mind, we just had our general elections in Spain on Sunday - el presidente Zapatero staying in for a second term - and I bet no one in the US even knew about it! Ha!

Terry

2008-03-12 08:19:09

Hi Terry,

I do hope they get the international licensing and royalty payment issues resolved on services like Hulu. While I don’t really give a hoot about the corporate executives who drop $1M+ on their bratty kid’s “Sweet Sixteen” party, I do care that the creative and production personnel behind these shows get paid properly. I also think it would be good to see shows that originate outside the US on such services.

And yes, I knew that Zapatero got reelected. But, I am a bit of a political and military news junkie.

Comment by bss
2008-05-13 20:10:04

This clip was hilarious, thanks for posting!!!

Comment by Travel Over 30s
2009-02-05 20:55:11

I’m with terry on this one its annoying that these services aren’t available outside the US - the rest of us like to laugh at Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama instead we go to youtube! I also notice that the BBC blocks being able to watch current TV on their site if you are not UK resident!