In case you missed it on TV, here’s the recent Democratic Debate cold open from Saturday Night Live, courtesy of Hulu. It is a spoof of the debates between Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton as they seek the Democratic Party nomination for US President and the way that some members of the press have swooned over Senator Obama.
Also see this video: SNL Hillary and Obama - The 3 A.M. Phone Call
This skit caused some debate on race because the SNL actor portraying Obama, Fred Armisen, isn’t African-American but is Latino-Asian. I think he pulls it off rather well but should Obama win the White House they should consider hiring an African-American comedic actor that can look the part. Although, considering in the show’s early years Chevy Chase spoofed Gerald Ford, there isn’t any reason why current SNL cast member, Kenan Thompson, couldn’t do it in spite of his large size.
The serious point behind the humor is that the mainstream press does tend to favor certain candidates over others. Bill Clinton took advantage of this to win the Presidency in 1992 but this time around Hillary, lacking Bill’s charisma and faced with a highly charismatic opponent in Obama, failed to capture it. Of course, this attitude by the mainstream media is real and the reason for the rise of talk radio and political blogs across the US political spectrum.
- Other Interesting OpTempo Articles...
- The Insider's Guide to Surviving the Recession
- Ricoh Aficio GX3050N GelSprinter Color Network Printer Review
- Your Blog Monetization Options: Part I - Pay-Per-Click Ads
- What Supernatural Things Do You Believe In?
- Mustang Driver Has 9 Lives in This Chase
- AP Puts Comcast BitTorrent Blocks to the Test