Some Links: EntreCard Edition

EntreCard Links

I thought I’d do a quick round-up of blogs who were talking about the EntreCard widget, good and bad.

Mixed Market Arts has some mixed opinions about it: My followup to Entrecard

Vic of Blogger Unleashed thinks it’s the greatest thing since sliced bread, Entrecard Another Loser, and John Cow absolutely hates it, 1000 Entrecard Visitors This Month. Oops, reverse that!

Sly at Slyvisions is having a little deja vu, Entrecard the Next BlogExplosion?, as does Silki in an article at Techie Buzz, EntreCard | Will it succeed ?

Sam has some bad ideas, IMO, ideas I disagree with on how to use it: 10 Simple Ways to Squeeze the Most Out of Entrecard for Your Greater Advantage. He should check into the quality of the traffic he’s getting from it.

Shakadoo seems to be impressed by it in this post, Update On Entrecard Post.

However, it certainly isn’t on Ian Fernando hit parade: EntreCard Definitely EntreSucks: Check Please!. He does quite a good analysis of his EntreCard stats. His on-site time was lower than mine at 31 seconds!

Preblogging also isn’t impressed by the stats: The Quality of Entrecard traffic

Fabian at Small Fish, Big Money states the obvious: Make Money Online Niche is PACKED. In his article he says,

I highly believe that a site mixing make money online, internet marketing and personal diary will yield lots of income

He should pay a visit to Vic’s blog. :)

Caveman will rescue you from having an ugly default EntreCard for free: Free Custom Entrecard Design.

And, lastly, just to show that EntreCard visits aren’t always junk, here’s a funny cat picture from the blog on my widget today, Daisy the Curly Cat: Wordless Wednesday: My Bunny Impersonation. I had to stumble this one when I ran across it during a 30 seconds a site card dropping blitz.

What do you think of EntreCard so far? Leave a comment and let me know.

2007-12-14 17:21:51

Thanks for mentioning my article. It’s really nice to see other people’s opinions on this, so if you can, please leave a comment on the post!

Sly from Slyvisions.com

2007-12-14 17:46:28

Thanks for stopping by Sly,

Given all that went down with BlogRush it’s a good idea to keep a close eye on these widgets and not fall in lockstep with the hype.

Vic also mentioned that EntreCard remined him of earlier, failed, link exchange schemes.

Comment by Fabien
2007-12-14 20:51:52

Oooo! Harsh! Yes, I did state the obvious but I also added statistics relating to the niche’s which were more successful than others, it was a sort of “which niche should you enter in for your next blog” post. But I do agree, quite obvious…

Till next time!
FabZ
Small Fish Big Money RuleZ!

2007-12-14 21:18:09

Hi Fabien,

Cold meds and lack of sleep must be making me a little cranky. Sorry. :)

But, actually, that’s one of the problems with EntreCard, that it’s filling up with people who think they’ll be the next John Chow.

I’d also really suggest reading Vic’s stuff. He’s got a very different take on how to make money online and it doesn’t start with a theme with a sports car header. ;)

Comment by Fabien
2007-12-14 21:33:47

Hehehehe, Thanks, I will definitely start venturing out to look for newer and more informative blogs than Mr Chow’s, I am getting tired of reading about hedge funds and fame magazine stunts by other people, I want hard hitting online money making info!

Thanks for the link love too, Your blog is doing really well, Congratulations, Subscribing via RSS!

FabZ
Small Fish

Comment by silki
2007-12-14 22:42:58

Thanks for mentioning my article.
In fact my home blog is webtoolsandtips.com. Would love to see you there.

2007-12-14 22:59:18

Thanks for stopping by Silki,

I’ve added your home blog link in the article.

Comment by silki
2007-12-16 10:08:35

oops, I didn’t see that.
Thanks for that also.

Comment by Vic
2007-12-14 23:03:04

LMAO Frank I swear I really enjoy your take and the last few days have added you to my buddy’s that make me smile list. Thanks for the link.

2007-12-14 23:12:19

Thanks for taking the time out of your very busy schedule to stop by Vic.

Comment by Caveman
2007-12-15 00:47:34

Hey Frank. It’s cool so far. It has gained me subscribers so I can’t complain. The Entrecard users are indeed very “bouncy” but a few stick around, read stuff, comment, and subscribe. That works.

Thanks for the mention Frank.

-Caveman

2007-12-15 08:04:17

Hi Caveman,

The sticky factor on EntreCard so far is low as compared to SU, BZ, and other social bookmarking networks, which is what I compare it against. Some sticky is better than none which is why I’m keeping it for now.

2007-12-15 04:58:12

Thanks for the link but I think it’s a bit disingenuous to just say, “I think X has some bad ideas” and then not elaborate.

While it’s ok to let people make up their minds for themselves, it’s another to give an undefended negative opinion before just sending them off.

People will learn best if they get to observe a discussion of specifics. I mean, that’s if you’re used to defending your ideas. People who really want a better of understanding of things genuinely appreciate it when you’re willing to do that.

So, when you’re ready, please drop a line and let everyone know what you specifically felt didn’t meet your standards.

Sam

2007-12-15 08:01:05

Hi Sam,

I did cover my objections to some of your ideas in this previous article of mine, Traffic Analysis: Blogging Zoom vs. EntreCard and Vic and Ian did as well in their articles. Of course, this wasn’t specific to your article but they did cover the same territory in general.

This post was a general link out post so I didn’t take time to elaborate, hoping, perhaps incorrectly, that people would take the time to read both the pro and con articles.

But, I may take another run at a EntreCard article to talk about your post in detail. It was an interesting one after all. If it wasn’t I wouldn’t have included it in the list. EntreCard clickers do seem to stop and read EntreCard articles so it might be worthwhile.

2007-12-16 15:30:41

Hi again, Justin, thanks for the response.

I’m no stranger to discussing/debating my reasoning on a matter. What I found unusual was your characterization of my ideas as “bad” while others were simply, “X likes it, Y hates it, Z is impressed” and then you conclude with an example to say that not all Entrecard visits are junk.

I didn’t mind that you disagreed with some of my ideas. What I found objectionable was that there was absolutely no tie-in to anything specific.

Here, I’ll demonstrate for you. You might not appreciate this but I’m sure some bloggers will find it a good lesson.

I think your way of presenting your opinion about my ideas was poorly done. You assumed that people who would read your opinion would have also read your previous article about Entrecard traffic when there’s no basis for that assumption and no guarantee that bloggers to the new article will go read the previous article.

You also assumed that, if they were to have read the prior article, they would have put 2+2 together and somehow known exactly what you meant about “bad ideas.” It also assumes that they would even clickthrough and read what I wrote.

The fact is, my rationale for things comes at a high price - I actually think about them and in a true outside-the-box fashion.

For example, you inferred Blog Zoom visitors to be spending time here reading an article when, in reality, they could just be zooming in multiple windows, and you hypothesize it as potentially more beneficial to you. How…? Did they buy something? Did they indicate an interest in buying something? Or are you just in this for the purity of writing?

As for the “junk traffic” from Entrecard… are they not people with wants and needs? In fact, aren’t they flying through all the sites, chain-dropping, precisely BECAUSE they have wants and needs? They want people to see their site because they need something.

Instead of QUALIFYING the traffic based on how little time they spend at your site, consider qualifying yourself based on how appealing you can make yourself be to them.

And it doesn’t take much, either.

You could start by slapping some kind of an IRRESISTABLE offer right under your widget.

And make it refer SPECIFICALLY to EntreCard users WANTS.

Sharing a bunch of stastics and then making an assumption based on them is not the same thing as having a clearly stated, educated opinion about something specific.

Sorry if you take offense to the way I’ve written this but I have just as much right to defend my ideas as do you and the first step is in requiring naysayers to be specific.

And, in doing so, I used your article to show just how assuming and non-specific you were and gave a specific tip as to how one might work with Entrecard traffic rather than just throwing up a widget and expecting the visitors to jump into your fishing basket.

Now, I’d genuinely appreciate it if instead of referring me to an article in hopes that I might somehow connect with what you meant by “bad ideas” that, instead, you just give something specific.

Because the way you laid it out and left it, all people saw in your statement about me(especially new visitors who were to only end up reading this one post) amounted to “sam freedom - bad ideas” and anyone who reads my blog knows that’s not true.

Thanks,
Sam

2007-12-16 16:50:12

Hi Sam,

You know that a lot of bloggers would just delete a long rambling negative comment like yours. But I don’t play that.

As I said and many others have observed 80-90% of EntreCard users don’t give a crap as to what you have on your site. Their one and only reason to visit your site it is to click that little yellow button and move on. If you truly wanted to accommodate their wishes you would point to a landing page that had the widget and nothing else.

I didn’t mean to offend you though. I’ll change the text in the original post so that it won’t have as negative of a connotation about your site.

Comment by Daisy the Curly Cat
2007-12-15 05:08:54

Thanks for the stumble! If nothing else, I am having a lot of fun with Entrecard: shopping for ads, visiting new blogs, and planning my ad campaign.

2007-12-15 08:12:44

Hi Daisy Cat,

That picture was so funny and cute that I had to stumble it. I’ll have to keep checking your site. We’ve got 5 cats, including a 21 pound Maine Coon Cat as seen in this article: Pet Pics: Maine Coon Cat and Norfolk Terrier.

Comment by costa
2007-12-15 20:08:42

Hi,

I dunno if it sucks or if Vic’s prediction will come true, but I think i’ll be keeping it until the day comes. No doubt what you said is true that traffic from entrecards has no quality, but I am at a stage now that doesn’t allow me much choice.

It’s either I get those so-called low quality traffic and hope to hook 2 or 3 into coming back, or I lose a good part of my present traffic if I abandon entrecard, which is something I can ill afford for now.

2007-12-15 21:19:05

Hi Costa,

You can see I still have it, although just talking about it seems to bring traffic in and of itself. I’ll probably keep it around for a while until they either change something and/or I need the space for something else.

Watch for the slow burn on Blogging Zoom though. I’m seeing more and more Google traffic every day.