(1) How Long Have You Been Blogging?
OpTempo is just over a month old at this point. My other blog, Visual Basic Notebook for .NET, got started in May 2007 although it’s really a continuation of a static HTML VB website I started in 1999. I had a few other blogs that I started, going back to 2004, although these two are the first I’ve put a real time commitment into.
(2) What Inspired You To Start A Blog and Who Are Your Mentors?
Before I started blogging I wrote quite often in online forums, either music, political or programming related, going back to Compu$erve, FIDONet and GENIE in 1980’s. Blogging just seemed like a natural progression of what I’ve already been doing for years.
As for mentors or inspirations…
Robert Scoble would be one. I met him in person in 1995 at Comdex at a Microsoft hosted event when he was working as a jack-of-all-trades at Fawcette plus I knew him online from Compu$erve. Flash forward a few years and BOOM! he’s Mr. Blog.
More recently, I’d have to say John Chow for his anything goes attitude. Maki at Dosh Dosh and Courtney Tuttle for the quality of their information. And, lastly, Vic for his inspiration for the idea for getting OpTempo off the ground.
(3) Are You Trying To Make Money Online Or Just Doing It For Fun?
I’m trying to make money online, although OpTempo isn’t the only basket I’m putting my eggs into. VB Notebook is more about helping other programmers and gaining, or more accurately regaining, prestige in that community.
(4) Tell Me Three Things You LOVE About Being Online
1. Meeting people from around the world, 2. Helping people, 3. The exchange of information.
(5) Tell Me Three Things You Struggle With In The Online World
1. Taking time away from it, 2. Being too much of a perfectionist and do-it-yourself-er when it comes to programming, 3. Making money from it.
As for tagging, I’ll tag Courtney and Vic although I doubt they have the time.