My Top 10 Favorite Science Fiction Movie Quotes

Movie List Bot

If you’ve got a blog you’ve got to have Top 10 Lists. Here’s a list of my top ten favorite quotes from Science Fiction Movies.

First, Da Rules

1. It has to be a movie movie, one that was shown in theaters, not just a TV movie or direct to DVD.

2. It can’t be an actor’s trademark catch phrase used in several movies (Sorry Arnie)

3. It has to be a single statement by one character, not a dialog between characters.

The List

10. Since when can a weatherman predict the weather, let alone the future - Marty McFly - Back To The Future

9. Soylent Green is people! - Thorn - Soylent Green

8. That’s it man, game over man, game over! - Hudson - Aliens

7. I am fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason. Klaatu - The Day the Earth Stood Still

6. Is this testing whether I’m a replicant or a lesbian, Mr. Deckard? - Rachael - Blade Runner

5. Beware the beast Man, for he is the Devil’s pawn. Alone among God’s primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother’s land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him; drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death. - Cornelius - Planet of the Apes

4. He’s on safari. The lions, the tigers, the bears… oh, my! - Peter Keyes - Predator 2

3. I’d like to share a revelation that I’ve had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you’re not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You’re a plague and we are the cure. - Agent Smith - The Matrix

2. You see, according to Cocteau’s plan I’m the enemy, ’cause I like to think; I like to read. I’m into freedom of speech and freedom of choice. I’m the kind of guy likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder - "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecued ribs with the side order of gravy fries?" I WANT high cholesterol. I wanna eat bacon and butter and BUCKETS of cheese, OK? I want to smoke Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section. I want to run through the streets naked with green Jell-o all over my body reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly might feel the need to, OK, pal? I’ve SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It’s a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I’m an Oscar Meyer Wiener". - Edgar Friendly - Demolition Man

1. It can only be attributable to human error. - Hal - 2001: A Space Odyssey

What Are Yours?

There are mine. Feel free to leave a comment with your favorite Science Fiction movie quotes.

Comment by Eric Socia
2007-11-10 12:53:39

That quote from Demolition Man is by far one of my all-time favorites. Denis Leary will always hold a special place in my heart. =P

What an awesome, terrible movie that was.. :)

2007-11-10 13:14:09

Hi Eric,

Stallone could have been replaced with almost any action hero type. Denis Leary, Sandra Bullock, and Wesley Snipes made that movie for me. I also liked the underlying message that was drawn from Brave New World, which has never been made into a decent movie and probably never will be.

Comment by Eric Socia
2007-11-10 14:49:11

Too true. Although there are still times where I actually enjoy Stallone’s performances. This movie was one of those few. You’re still right, though. If it weren’t for Leary, Bullock and Snipes, the movie would have bombed completely. And yet, there are STILL tons of people who’ve never seen or even heard of Demolition Man. How sad for them. :)

Comment by Kosmo
2008-04-04 15:47:59

“I’m your Huckleberry.”

—Doc Holiday, Tombstone.

I’m curious on your thoughts. Have there been any cool quotes from sci-fi or fantasy movies in 2008 so far? I’m part of an awards panel, and I’m trying to keep up so that I’m not behind at the end of the year.

2008-04-07 09:52:44

Hi Kosmo,

Tombstone is one of my favorite movies. I have the scene of the Earps and Doc walking down the street to the OK Corral as my wallpaper right now. However, it isn’t really science fiction.

I haven’t been to any new movies this year so I can’t help you there (too busy moving and stuff). The only two sci-fi movies I can think of right off this year are Cloverfield and Jumper, neither of which produced anything quote-worthy that I’ve heard of. Iron Man promises to have some good stuff though if you can call that Sci-Fi.

Comment by Movie Goers
2008-06-16 20:00:50

“There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus.”-agent smith. hahaha-entertaining way to describe agent smith, well, the matrix is no. 1 movie I think. What a great list you have =)

2008-06-17 00:37:34

Hi Movie Goers,

One of my other favorite Matrix quotes is this one:

The Matrix is a system, Neo. That system is our enemy. But when you’re inside, you look around, what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it.

2008-07-08 10:31:27

From The Matrix:

“Unfortunately, nobody can be told what the Matrix is… you have to see it for yourself.”

That’s my favorite. (Sounds like the writer was from Missouri, maybe?)

Comment by Cheap Anime Games
2008-07-08 10:37:21

I’m embarrassed, because everybody else has picked such deep and meaningful quotes, while I go straight for the lowest common denominator. Well, what can I say — I guess I have lowbrow taste.

My favorite quote? From Back to the Future, where Dr Emmett Brown says:

“There’s that word again, ‘heavy’. Why are things so heavy in the future? Is there a problem with the earth’s gravitational pull?”

Comment by Guy Movie Review
2009-10-22 13:52:32

I think that quote from the Matrix is the best ever. As soon as I saw this blog post title I thought of that. Wow I’m replying late.