Burger King’s Homestyle Melts

Not to be outdone by Hardee’s heart attack inducing menu , Burger King has announced their entry into the fat calorie race, their Homestyle melts.

Burger King’s Bacon Double Homestyle Melt

They’ll have a breakfast version and burger version. Both feature two slices of buttery flavored sourdough bread. The breakfast version, the Honey Butter Homestyle Melt, has sausage, egg, melted American cheese with a honey butter sauce. The burger version, the Bacon Double Homestyle Melt, has 2 slices of bacon, 3 slices of Swiss cheese and two burger patties with a creamy garlic cheese sauce.

How Do These Sandwiches Weigh In?

I couldn’t find the nutritional information about these two sandwiches on the Burger King site. One news report had the Bacon Double Homestyle Melt weighing in at 810 calories, 520 them from fat. Those fat calories break down to 58 grams of fat, 20 of them saturated and 2 are trans fats. As you might expect, it’s also rather high in cholesterol and sodium. I suspect the Honey Butter Homestyle Melt would be in the same range. All in all, either sandwich will provide you with all your fat needs for the day if not the week.

I don’t know about you but I don’t like these mega sandwiches, particularly when they lay on the thick cheese sauces. I do like a nice pattie melt on Texas toast from time to time but they just seem to lay it on too thick at the fast food places. They try to throw everything but the kitchen sink into their recipes. It’s like their marketing departments have never heard the term, "Keep It Simple, Stupid".

Would you order one? Leave me a comment and let me know what you think.

Comment by Dave Tackett
2007-11-04 12:29:24

They should include a free liposuction with every combo meal! Gluttony is America’s favorite deadly sin (emphasis on deadly)

2007-11-04 12:51:28

Well, I figure with one of these somebody knows they’re getting a huge wad ‘o fat. But if you drink a Diet Coke with it that balances things out, right? :)

The tricky thing is when these chains offer ‘healthy’ meals like salads or grilled chicken that have just as much fat and calories as their big burger combos have.

Comment by Jeremy Hobbs
2007-11-04 21:42:44

Ehh… it just LOOKS like fat…

2007-11-04 22:43:41

I always wonder if these promo pictures are of the real thing, the real thing sealed with preservative sprays or an out and out fake.

Comment by Ezekiel
2007-11-04 22:12:30

Ok so am I the only one that wants to see how it taste? :-)

2007-11-04 22:51:19

I’d guess very, very, cheesy.

I did try one of their earlier burgers on their sourdough bread bun and it wasn’t very good. It was greasy tasting. I took the burger off the bun to eat it.

Comment by LPF
2007-11-08 09:52:57

That actually looks good to me! I’m of the school that likes it laid on thick.

Hope it tastes as good as it looks. Worth trying at least once before you die or it kills you!

2007-11-08 11:42:13

Hi LPF,

I guess whatever doesn’t kill you makes your stronger. :)

The BK sourdough bread isn’t very good though. I suspect it may be shipped frozen to the restaurants and defrosted. Maybe I’ll ask them about that sometime.